Sunday, September 14, 2008

My New Job

After several weeks of sweating over my quickly depleting savings account, I am now once again employed. My little brother, Jonathan, has been doing well at talking to the people he knows in the ward to see who's hiring. I got me a temp job working on fountain. Poor pay and laborious work, but it did help slow the bleeding. From there I got a lead into Mary Kay's Legal Resource Department as a Paralegal/Office Coordinator. I am still waiting to hear back on my resume. At the fountain job I also met a guy who is looking into getting me on his wife's boss's flight crew for his pending Gulfstream G-V - For those who do not know, this is the supreme of all business jets. There are a couple other leads that Jonathan is helping me get, but for now I am working with a company that buys and sells collectible currency, precious metals, watches and other such fine items - http://www.monarchrarities.com/.

The position does not pay fantastically well, but it does provide medical, dental and vision. Most of the 15 employees are family and the rest are friends from church. In fact, everyone is a member of the same stake here. As such, the company focuses on promoting the standards of the gospel.

The works schedule is M-F 8-5 for two weeks. This time is spent at our home offices handling business and making sure orders are being filled. The following two weeks are pent out of town hold buying conventions to purchase items from the public. I am not too sure what home life is like because I just got hired on during the away period. In fact, this period is going to be three weeks away. However, even when we are away we make time to go to church and do what we can to be home for our own words as much as possible.

This last week we traveled 24,000 miles East all the way around the world to Dallas Texas. Okay, so we took the short cut and went 10 miles West. While out of town the company rents rooms at a hotel, which rooms are able to serve a double purpose as an office for meeting with the public. So I sleep in the back room and close the door in the morning to let our buyers meet with the public in the living room as it were. Here are some photos from my stay at the Crown Plaza.

These first photos are from hall. The hotel was 10 stories tall and triangular. It looked like a large tree from the inside. The elevator shaft (Trunk) was directly in the center. At each floor there were three bridges (looked like large branches) extending to the rooms. Then they had all the greenery inside. I felt like I was in an Ewok village.
















This is an aerial shot of the fountain in the main lobby





















Here’s the dining area

















Darn those Ewoks. They are such camera hogs. I had to delete half my photos because they kept jumping in front of my camera.













Here are some shots of the fantastic room I stayed in



















































These are the front of the room where we met with the sellers.
















2 comments:

The Ballard Family said...

I always thought the life of a traveling businessman would be made complete by run-ins with Ewoks...
All in all, looks like you got yourself a pretty good deal there. Travel, accommodations, large treehouses, being surrounded by people who share your standards...not bad at all. Plus, getting to look at shiny stuff is always a perk.
Thanks for sharing. :)
Mandy

Emily said...

Great pictures Jeff! I think that bed looks really comfortable! But my favorite feature of the room is the phone. :)

The actual Hotel is shaped really cool and will all of those Ewoks running around its a good thing you made it out alive! They are scary beings! Its nice getting to see where you are staying.