I like to do what I can to keep my aviation knowledge flowing, even though I do not get in the air much. So I was studying about raised concerns over conflicts between general aviation and air force operations.
In my dream I was flying with a new student practicing basic maneuvers. Out of no where, an F-16 flies directly over us from our 2 to 8 o' clock. There must have been a 200 foot separation was all. The wing tip vortecies of the F-16 engulfed the small, four-seat Cessnas 172-S, forcing it into an inverted clockwise spin. Within less than 3 seconds, the little Cessna was in a fully developed spin. Only a briefe glimps of blue sky could be seen in the far corner of the windshiled with each rotation.
In the same instant, the path to recovery was clear. Before thinking, I had already reduced the throttle to idle, ailerons were locked in to place. I did not have to fight the plane back on to course. I road the plane in harmony with precise inputs as I felt the G-forces sway through my body. Almost as quickly as the plane was enveloped in the spin, the wings were level and stable in a moment of weightlessness with the nose dropping quickly and the airspeed rose over maximum maneuverable speeds.
At this point, any careless inputs on the controls would result in a catastrophic failure of the airframe. I ease on the controlls and the feeling weightlessness subside. I know that a single G would only result in maintaining a constant decent rate while increasing the airspeed beyond what the airframe has been proven to withstand. Hurried to resolving the rising airspeed, I know that under these conditions anything more than 1.5 G's would result in that catastrophic failure of the airframe.
With just enough pressure on the yoke I maintain a constant load on the airframe as the airspeed abates. With still nearly 1500 feet between us and the ground, the airplanes is stable, undamged. Certain death has been averted.
Okay. There's the fun part of the drea. I've still got to work on keeping things short and still enough information. There are still many more distriptions to the dream - emotions, sensory imputs, tehcnical data, forknowledge. I guess when you make all the perameters you can be the hero everytime because you develop the problem around your ability/knowledge to save the day. But who cares about that part. The dream was freaking AWESOME!
16 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment