Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Wonders of Spit

Have you ever thought about how wonderful spit is? Really, think about. As new born babies we milk getting all that extra attention for being so cute with our little spit bubble. When we graduated to solid food our spit would dissolve anything. When Jonathan was still toothless, I would wonder how long it would take him to dissolve a piece of wood (No I never tried it). Through our years as toddlers we learn not to spit, so we spit whenever we can. It proved to be a great way to get our point across when we did not like someone. When we ate something undesirable (i.e. dirt and the like) we learned to spit it out. At some point further down the road we learn how much fun swapping spit can be. What was once gross and defiling becomes exciting and adventurous.

Oh the wonders of spit. However, spit still finds ways to amaze me. An interesting turn took place for me that I was not expecting. Did you know that spit it an excellent cleaner and moisturizer for contact lenses? True to life. I owe Emily for this little side bit of random information, and it made sense. I could just never see myself popping my contact out to suck on it and pop it back in my eye.

Just this past Sunday we were leaving for church. As we backed the truck up I looked behind us because I remembered there was a car there a couple seconds ago. I turn my head and rotated my eye all the way over. When I blink my contact popped out and thankfully landed on my hand. Now, I am supper paranoid about putting things in my eye and am still uncomfortable with the whole contact lens thing. I am extremely diligent to clean them thoroughly and makes sure there is not cleaning solution left on them. I knew there was no way my coworkers would have let me gone back to the hotel room because we were already running late.

I had a bottle of water and though to just drop it in there until I could properly clean my lens. Then I thought about sucking it clean and popping it back in. However, I brushed my teeth when I woke up and then had breakfast so I still had egg, sausage, cereal and banana floating around in my mouth. I used the bottle water to rinse several times until I was confident that I got rid of all the loitering food. Because we had just done some loading, my hands were still filthy and I knew I would have to clean my finger too. So with the miracle of spit (and the blessing of water for dilution of the gross taste) I proceeded to suck my finger clean. I sang hymns to keep from thinking about what my hands had just handled and used a lot of water to keep the nasty taste to a minimum. Once I was comfortable with my finger being clean I popped my contact in my mouth with visions of swallowing it ( At a hundred bucks a pop I was worried of what I might have tried if I actually swallowed it). Again, a bitter taste, but it went away.

With my finger and contact both as clean as I could get them I decided to pop the contact in my eye. With great hesitation, I moved the contact to my eye. As always, my far sightedness blurred the lens about three inches away. Again with the hymns trying to forget what I just did and was trying to do. Sure enough, the lens was in no problems. The best part, it felt a lot better than my left lens. I thought about doing the same thing for my left eye, but we were already at church.

(Aunt Devon. I am in my second hotel this trip and both my blogs this trip have not been about the hotels. Now you and Kortney can stop laughing at me behind my back :P )

3 comments:

Devon said...

Good job!! I told Kevin that he needed to start competing with you on who can do the best motel blogs! he is partial to Hiltons and Marriots, but going to do time in a Holiday Inn in Canada in December. (i have been doing the same thing with my contacts for the past 30 years- I have never had an eye infection!) see you next week?!!

Emily said...

I am glad you discovered the beauty of spit! My eye did always feel better with the one that got the spit treatment! Very clever blog about spit, I applaud you :)

Nelson Family said...

Um, I think I'd prefer to hear about your hotel room over your spit. Hahaha.